SCH Randwick Social Worker Service
A child’s health condition can impact on their own and other family members’ emotional and social well-being. Social workers at the Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick work with children, young people and their families to enhance coping and adjustment to the health condition.
The Social Workers in the Department work closely with clinical teams so have specialist knowledge and skills in a range of areas such as critical care, rehabilitation, chronic illnesses and disabilities and palliative care.
The Social Work Department provides a service via referral to all inpatients and continues to work with some children and young people and their families after they leave the Hospital. Social Workers also attend various Outpatient clinics associated with their clinical team.
Some of the ways we can help include:
• Assisting in the adjustment to changes, grief and loss.
• Supporting families during a crisis or trauma.
• Enhancing the families’ management of chronic illness.
• Counselling for children, young people, their families /carers.
• Accessing resources and supports.
• Providing relevant information and education regarding child development and family wellbeing.
• Bereavement Support.
Randwick NSW 2031
If you would like to see a Social Worker you may ask your doctor, nurse or another allied health professional to organise this for you, or you may contact the Social Work Department directly.
Office Hours are Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm. An After Hours Social Work Service is provided in particular crisis situations.